LIVE VIRTUAL WORSHIP: SUNDAYS AT 10 am
To Join via Zoom CLICK HERE
All our communities have been faced with challenges and complicated choices over the past year.
In March of 2020, we made our foray into the world of online worship services. Our guiding principles for making this move were:
- Live broadcast of worship
- Meeting the spiritual needs of our community with a single service
- Fostering our social connections
- Living in grace and flexibility with each other, and honoring our individual and community needs for activity and for rest.
We’ve learned a lot over the past year. In order to pull off a weekly live service, we needed to reduce our scope from three Sunday morning services to one. Music has been an important part of two of those three usual services, and our music team continues to innovate their approach and technology tools. We have all learned to check our mute status, to be patient with screen shares, and how to manage the logistics of congregational singing and spoken responses. While online worship (via Zoom) does not meet all the diverse spiritual needs of the community, it has allowed us the capacity to step into community in different (online) ways.
Follow the links below to see more details or for contact information.
- Weekly Contemplative Service
- Dining on Thursdays
- Men’s Group
- Tweeners (4th – 6th Grade)
- Youth Group
- Beginnings (for families with kids birth-5)
- Vestry, Finance Committee, Communications Committee, Worship and Liturgy Committee, Pastoral Care Committee
- Adult Choir (contact Music Director)
- Book Club
- LGBTQ+ Group
- Monthly Evening Prayer
- Sunday School
We’ve even managed a few special events and services:
- Summer outdoor (socially-distanced and masked) Sunday Services in Newell Park
- Community Talent Show (November)
- “Community and Carols” (members shared personal stories and music, in lieu of Lessons and Carols)
- Christmas Pageant (youth-created)
- Youth-led Sunday services
- Entirely lay-led and lay-created Sunday services (Nov 2020 – Feb 2021)
- Children’s Easter Vigil (youth-created, upcoming 4/3/21)
- A task force is working on creating a plan that will allow us to return to church in a phased manner, once certain benchmarks are met.
- We recognize that even our wide array of online opportunities to connect do not meet every parishioner’s needs – anything online simply cannot meet all our being-in-community needs.
- We also recognize that a number of St. Marians who had previously had transportation or health concerns that prevented weekly attendance have been able to join us regularly online!
We are preparing the ground for our future, which will continue to prioritize
- Greater accessibility for all;
- Building a Church for our present and for the future;
- Connecting with other faith communities;
- Continuing our commitment to activism and community service as an integral part of our relationship with God; and
- Continuing to show up with our whole, messy, beautiful selves.
Whether you are a Saint Marian that has participated in some of the virtual activities, a Saint Marian that has been reluctant to participate in the virtual format, or a visitor that is looking for a faith community to call your own, there is much love and sincerity at work here. We are watching and listening for the Spirit at work in us. We continue to work towards worship services and gatherings – virtual and in-person – that fulfill the community and faith needs of everyone at Saint Mary’s.
This is not our table; it’s God’s table. All are invited, no exceptions.
God is good, all the time.